Baht Gold is commonly mistaken as meaning 24 karat gold. But Baht is actually a measurement of weight, and not purity. Baht gold is indeed high karat (high purity), but is not 24k gold. One baht of Thai gold is equivalent to 15.244 grams before it is crafted into jewelry. After the gold is crafted into jewelry the weight should be equal to 15.16 grams, to still be termed as one baht gold. (To simplify it, one baht of gold normally is usually referred to as 15.2 grams)
Gold has been a way of life for Thai people for centuries. Presents of gold ornaments and jewelry are given to Thai people at numerous stages of their lives. Gold ornaments and jewelry are given to newborn babies for comfort and used as dowries or sin sot in marriages. The name “Siam”, Thailand's former name, means gold in Sanskrit. Chinese have referred to Thailand as Jin lin, meaning “peninsula of gold”. Indians also called Thailand Suvannabhumi, which means Land of Gold. Thai people value gold as not only a precious metal made for jewelry, but also as a means of financial security. Gold is also often used to create Buddha statues and other religious items.
100% (24 karat) gold is way too soft to make jewelry, so Baht gold jewelry usually has a 96.5% gold purity, which is a bit over 23 karat. The remaining 3.5% is normally silver and bronze. A Baht of Thai gold in bar form is sold in “Baht Weight” or 15.244 grams (15.16 grams for a Baht of Thai gold ornament or jewelry), a little lower than half of a troy ounce, (Troy Ounce = 31.1 Grams).
Texas Gold and Silver Buyers of San Antonio are your local High Karat Gold experts. We specialize in higher karat gold (18k and higher). But deal with ALL types of Gold on a daily basis. (10k, 14k, etc.) Most places use an outdated method of using Acids and Scratch Stones to test gold before purchasing. This method is outdated and nowhere near precise. At Texas Gold and Silver Buyers of San Antonio, we utilize state-of-the-art XRF (X-Ray) Technology to test. This method is considered the gold standard of the industry and is highly accurate. It also allows us to non destructively test, leaving your items in the same condition as they walked in our door. But most importantly it allows us to pay TOP DOLLAR each and EVERY day, because we know exactly what karat of gold we are dealing with. With the acid method, 18k and higher are not determined very easily or accurately. Many places will default to paying out on 14k gold, unsure of what they are dealing with. This is not acceptable, and we pledge to pay our customers on exact assays (purity tests).
Give us a call or come by TODAY to see why it PAYS to do business with Texas Gold and Silver Buyers of San Antonio.
We Buy ALL Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium: Bullion, Coins, Jewelry, and Scrap. We Pledge a Hassle-Free, No Hassle FREE Quote. Our devotion to Customer Service is unmatched in the San Antonio Area! TOP DOLLAR PAID EVERYDAY.
Texas Gold and Silver Buyers of San Antonio
3435 Thousand Oaks, Suite 107
San Antonio, Texas 78247
Thanks for stopping by our blog. My name is Evan and I am the owner of Texas Gold and Silver Buyers in San Antonio. From time to time I will post blog entries to help educate and inform our customers and potential future customers on all aspects of Precious Metals (Gold, Silver, Platinum & Palladium!)